Just 45 years after the estate was founded, Pédesclaux saw its name carved in the stone of the 1855 classification. The status of fifth growth (‘Cinquième Cru’) it was awarded represented much more than a mere heritage – it also imposed stringent requirements for the future.
1810. The wine estate is established by Pierre-Urbain Pédesclaux, also working as a wine trader. In 1821 he purchases some plots from Mr. Lacoste, the owner of Château Grand Puy in Pauillac.
1841. Construction of a winery in the very centre of Pauillac. The vineyards cover 7.8 hectares.
1849. Financial difficulties resulting from bad investments force Pierre-Urbain Pédesclaux to transfer ownership of the estate to his son Pierre-Edmond.
1855. Pédesclaux is granted the status of fifth growth. The classification commissioned for the Exposition Universelle is based on reports from wine traders, and the hierarchy is constructed on the basis of sale prices.
1872. Death of Pierre-Edmond Pédesclaux. His widow assumes control. In 1883 she purchases land from the Cruse family, owners of Château Pontet-Canet in Pauillac.
1891. The cru is sold to Gabriel de Gastebois.
1930. Gabriel de Gastebois’s heirs entrust management of the estate to Lucien Jugla, a man from a family with a history in the Médoc dating back to the Middle Ages. Jugla ultimately purchases the estate in 1951. The winery buildings become dilapidated and are destined for demolition.
1960. Lucien Jugla adds Château Belle-Rose, a 13.7-hectare estate which he has been farming since 1943, to Pédesclaux. Belle-Rose’s bourgeois building becomes the home of the classified growth and appears on the new labels.
1965. Death of Lucien Jugla. The estate is passed on to his five children, and the oldest, Bernard Jugla, takes the reins. In 1970 he purchases another chateau located a stone’s throw from Pédesclaux, Colombier-Monpelou. He continues to manage the two estates until 1996 when he hands the reins over to his son and sister-in-law. Colombier-Monpelou is eventually sold to Mouton-Rothschild in 2007.
2009. Having owned Château Lilian Ladouys (Saint-Estèphe) since 2008, Françoise and Jacky Lorenzetti acquire Pédesclaux. Within a few years they expand the vineyard’s area from 35 to 48 hectares through the successive acquisitions of Château Haut-Milon (neighbour to Mouton and Lafite) and of vines from Château Béhèré.
2013. Jacky Lorenzetti joins forces with Emmanuel Cruse by purchasing half the shares in Château d’Issan, a Margaux classified growth. Emmanuel Cruse also becomes the managing director of Pédesclaux.